First Day in China

The adrenaline from the first day has gone now and I feel wrecked due to jet-lag! Was on the internet today where I found that certain websites are blocked in China including Facebook and youtube, stables of the internet in the UK! As I have been trying to learn some basic Chinese, the lack of youtube is quite infuriating.

Went to Beijing park today and even in my rather grumpy state was absolutely bowled over by the beauty of the place. It is also funny to see people clearing the throats and spitting completely openly without offending anybody! Beginning to notice some people staring at me as I walk around though, not sure if that’s due to me being white or having a beard but will continue to investigate!

As you can imagine, it is really difficult to communicate with people, but luckily drinks (which you are constantly buying due to the heat) cost 3 to 5 yuan so I have just been showing the drinks to the shopkeepers and raising 3 or 4 fingers and they will raise the correct number of fingers. For other purchases shopkeepers will show you the price on a calculator. Thank God numbers are the same characters here!