Welcome Week!

As one would expect from Canadian people, Welcome Week, or Frosh Week, the week before the beginning of classes, was pretty wild and eventful. Most of the events are officially designed for first year students – and there were huge groups of people with special group T-shirts walking around campus and shouting out faculty “war cries” – but basically everyone was allowed to join in, especially if you are an excited-, but clueless-looking exchange student.

So for me the week started with an American football game between McMaster and Guelph University during which McMaster destroyed Guelph with a final score of 50-9 (possibly among other reasons due to the slightly biased audience of about 6,000 McMaster students and no visible Guelph fans at all). After first having to wait for about 45 minutes in order to get one of the last available tickets – as the game was officially sold out – I finally made my way into the stadium past the typical team mascots, cheerleaders and hotdog stands, just as one would imagine from the movies. The game itself was pretty boring: first because I did not have a clue about the rules of football and second because, as it turns out, they have a lot of breaks during the game which the team uses to regroup, discuss their strategy, etc., while the cheerleaders perform a bit and the commentators cram in as many advertisements as possible. Almost half of the people actually left after half-time and another quarter started chanting and dancing to McMaster cheers instead of watching the players, so it was a slightly weird experience. Nonetheless, the atmosphere was really great and I, at least, had a lot of fun with the noise makers they were handing out for free in front of the stadium.

Between all these general events there were also a few specifically organized for international and exchange students, such as a trip to Ikea, an induction session with campus tour and – definitely my highlight – an afternoon at the university’s Alpine Tower followed by a BBQ. The Alpine Tower is a wooden construction about 18m high designed to climb around on in lots of different ways. So we not only got to try out some climbing and belaying, but also had the chance to meet other international students of whom there are many, especially English and French, and join a few other fun outdoor activities, such as an eskimo blanket. This is a kind of elastic blanket used with one person lying down on it and being catapulted into the air by other people pulling at the sides of the blanket.

During the next days there was a number of events I only partly attended as I was busy preparing for my parents’ visit and the installation of the internet connection in my house. Among others, there were two concerts, a “clubfest” which gave all the sports clubs and societies at McMaster a chance to present themselves (and me the opportunity to sign up for tons of event emailing lists) and – for most students probably one of the highlights – a sidewalk sale, i.e. a lot of shops in Hamilton had stands on campus handing out freebies and advertising themselves. I personally did not have enough time to go there, but I heard stories of free pizza, bags full of groceries and, of course, pens and sweets everywhere…

So Frosh Week was definitely a good start into the semester, especially as the work load from my courses has increased quite a bit since, of which I will tell a bit more soon.

First, though, some more, hopefully very Canadian, pictures of the Niagara Falls which I visited with my parents. It is amazingly just an hour away from Hamilton and easily reachable, even by bus. Most people say the Canadian side of the falls is better, so here a comparison of both:

American side of the Niagara Falls

Canadian side of the Niagara Falls

This entry was posted in Outgoing, Physics, Science, Strathclyde by Maria Weikum. Bookmark the permalink.

About Maria Weikum

I’m a 4th year undergraduate student at the University of Strathclyde studying for an integrated master’s degree in physics. I originally come from Germany, but decided to get out into the exciting, big world and so ended up in Glasgow. At the moment I'm doing an exchange year at McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada.